Clozapine is the only antipsychotic medication that has been proven to decrease suicide rates and overall mortality for individuals with schizophrenia. This life-saving treatment is considered the “gold standard” in treating psychotic spectrum disorders such as schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar I, and mood disorders with psychotic features. New research also shows clozapine to be effective at treating cannabis-induced psychosis, substance use disorders, anosognosia, poor motivation and other negative symptoms of schizophrenia. This unique treatment is proven to be more effective than any other antipsychotic, without causing debilitating movement disorders. Sadly, this important medication is wrongly underutilized in the U.S. At Viewpoint Dual Recovery our medical providers are certified clozapine prescribers with the most current training and experience.
We believe full and meaningful recovery is possible. At Viewpoint Dual Recovery our goal is to help clients return to their pre-illness baseline level of function, health and well-being based on methods developed by Dr. Robert Laitman and outlined in his book, Meaningful Recovery from Schizophrenia and Serious Mental Illness with Clozapine: Hope & Help. This approach is based on treating both the mind and the body with the best science and evidence available.
The medical approach to clozapine at Viewpoint Dual Recovery Center involves optimizing the regimen with adjunctive medications to improve the effectiveness and reduce side effects. Additional medications such as metformin, lamotrigine, fluvoxamine, Linzess®, and others are often used in conjunction with clozapine and tailored to each client’s needs. This is all done on a foundation built on exercise, nutrition, attention to hygiene and developing important living and social skills.
Some of the services in our clozapine program include:
- Gentle titrations with proactive side effect management
- Painless finger-prick blood testing with the Athelas One™ device
- Adjunctive medications and nutritional supplements
- Medical weight control interventions
- Medical support for tobacco cessation
- Treatment for substance use disorders, including cannabis and drug-induced psychosis
- An emphasis on exercise and nutrition
- Life skills training that includes hygiene, cooking, and structuring time
- Access to speech therapy and cognitive enhancement programs
- A focus on activities like education, volunteering, and working
- Supports for the clozapine lifestyle, including sleep and medication management
- Legal support for court-ordered treatment
We can initiate clozapine treatment or optimize an existing clozapine treatment plan. If you or a loved one is struggling with schizophrenia, our clozapine program can help you achieve an optimal quality of life.